If you are a student who is thinking about getting a graduate student grader, then you most likely heard that before graduation all graduate students write a comprehensive article. And, perhaps, they asked themselves, what is the difference between a dissertation and a thesis? It’s great to ask questions, especially in advance. There is a difference between a “dissertation” and a “thesis”, despite the fact that both can sometimes replace each other and are often confused because of this. The works of autumn are similar in their internal structure, as they have in their contents an introduction, a literary review, a text, a conclusion, a bibliography, and a book. On this, in fact, the similarities end. Now it’s time to talk about the differences.
The main differences between “thesis” and “dissertation”:
– A thesis is a project that marks the end of the master’s program
– The dissertation is written during studies in a doctoral program.
– A thesis is a collection of studies that shows how well the material was learned for the entire period of study
– The dissertation is your opportunity, while still in the doctoral program, to bring something completely new to your field (theory, practice or knowledge). Its essence is to come up with a completely new idea, to work it out and defend the value and significance.
– A thesis is a kind of study with which we are all familiar with the senior courses. The purpose of the thesis is to show the student’s ability to think critically and be well versed in the information.
– In the dissertation, the studies of others are used more as a guide to the development and proof of the student’s own unique hypothesis, theory or concept. Most of the information in the thesis is student’s own property.
There is also a difference in length:
– A thesis should be at least 100 pages, perhaps a little bit more.
– The dissertation includes a huge amount of research and reference information. The task is difficult, so it is fully justified why the dissertation may be two, if not three times as large as the thesis.